Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Brazilians, Geckos, and Puzzles


          This morning, I woke up pretty early. I asked Emily about going to the Gold Coast and she said she didn’t really feel up for it. I could have just gone by myself, but then what is the fun in that. I might have to next time though. If it’s free next time, I am definitely going. It wont be free until later on next
 week. She said maybe next weekend. I really need Internet to see the Facebook pages of Quest and stuff, so I can see what kind of trips are coming up and which ones that I want to do. I ate a banana for breakfast. It is one of the ones that I got from the market. Their bananas are a lot different than ours. They are shaped different and hard to open. I can remember Sophia, Emily’s friend she stayed with the first few days, saying that there was a banana shortage a couple of years ago because of the floods and the price of bananas went up astronomically. So, I think its safe to say that I got a good price at $2 for a big bundle. I listened to some music on my computer, seeing as there isn’t much to do just sitting around here. I need to find stuff to do. To just explore. I did watch some old videos that I have on my computer. They were from high school and stuff. It kind of made me a little sad to remember back on those times. I miss hanging out all the time with my friends. I miss them. I loved those days and the people. It was truly one of the best times of my life. Watching that made me want to connect more with those people from high school. I will try to make more of an effort when I get back. Marcel was up and Pricilla, his wife was all moved in and everything too. They are from Brazil and around their late 20’s. I am officially the
youngest here. But, they are so cool and I fit right in. Priscilla is here taking English classes to better her English so that she can get her masters degree. She already has her degree in Psychology. She works as a house cleaner and a waitress too. She wants to find another job though, because she says the house cleaning job is so hard and trying. They have both traveled around and everything. Their English is really good, I think. I asked them a little bit about how they feel about the US. They have been there before and say that some places in the US are good and some aren’t. They said that when they were in Miami, there were a lot of people that walked around with attitude that they didn’t like and weren’t very nice. Priscilla said that she would ask someone a question in English and they would try to answer her back in Spanish. She was like “I don’t speak Spanish!” Haha. Marcel said that more open-minded places were better. Places where gay marriage and marijuana is legal, seem to be better places. He said “That’s not because I smoke marijuana or anything, its just because there is more freedom.” Priscilla interrupted him by adding “And you’re not gay either so…” Haha. He laughed. It is really great to see how other countries view the US. I told my parents that I was going to try and do see the different opinions and document them, unbiased. I just want to know so that I can maybe go back to the US and make it a better place. It is kind of my mission while I am here. I want the unfiltered, true opinions of those from other countries, on how they feel the US is portrayed in their society. After talking with them for a bit, I got ready. I had to get out of the house, because it wasn’t that bad looking of a day. I wanted to take some pictures too. I rode the bus into the city and walked through the city and the Botanical Gardens. They are so beautiful and I haven’t taken any pictures of them yet. I also took some pictures of the QUT campus. I want everyone to see how great the campus is too here. When I was walking around the campus, I saw this scary lizard snake thing
 crawling out of the bushes. It was really weird. I have no idea what it was. That has been happening a lot lately, not knowing what something is. Haha. Its like I’m in a different country or something! I made it past it though and wanted to use the free Wi-Fi that the say the offer in the gardens. I tried and tried, but couldn’t get it to work. Ugh. My luck again. Maybe it is because it was the weekend or something. I don’t know. I did see these people making a video. There was like this lady pushing a stroller and she sat on a bench. Then all of a sudden this man with a mask came up and stole her purse. I don’t know what that was all about, but I definitely know
they were just making a video. Haha. At least I think so. I walked to the ferry from the campus, still taking pictures and everything. I then rode the ferry back to Toowong and walked back to my house. When I closed my door, there was a surprise in my room. There was a little gecko on my wall behind my door. Oh, Australia. I didn’t know how I was going to get it out. I had a piece of paper ready, when Marcel knocked on the door. He wanted to see if I had any extra hangers, which I don’t, but then he ended up helping me by picking up the gecko and putting it back outside. I didn’t know if I could touch it or if it was poisonous or what, so I’m glad he got it. It was running everywhere though and he had a time getting it, but finally he got it in his hands. I uploaded some pictures on my computer.
 I was kind of tired and there wasn’t much else to do, so I just fell asleep. Haha. I was going to go to Emily’s house later to use some Internet. I woke up and Marcel was cooking in the kitchen. He offered me and everyone else some. So nice! It was this pasta and fish thing and it was really good. Angie was putting together a puzzle at the dining room table. I knew I was in the right place then! I LOVE PUZZLES! So exciting! Perfect! We finished the puzzle and took a house picture. It was cool, kind of like house bonding. Haha. It was raining outside too and since we had the doors open letting in cool air, some bugs had gotten in. Marcel had the idea to vacuum them up. It actually worked. We all watched Prison Break together, which is apparently one of Angie’s favorite
shows. They have an external hard drive that they plugged into the TV and we watched it from there. I wish I had my shows on there. I can remember watching Prison Break when it first came on, but then it showed like an hour later or something and I couldn’t stay up that late to watch it. I can’t wait to get Internet so that I can watch my shows that I am missing. I never went to Emily’s. I guess I got too caught up with the housemates! Which is totally fine. They are so cool, mature, and fun. I really like them. We all were tired and went to bed after the Prison Break episode. Tomorrow is my first day of “Uni”. I have my first class tomorrow! It isn’t until late, so I can sleep. I’m excited!


                                                                                                      Until next time,
                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                  QueensLandon

No comments:

Post a Comment